15.7.17

Lessons In Happiness



I am without a doubt  incredibly happy at the minute, so much so I didn't really want to jinx it at first but have come to accept that I shouldn't hide it and instead should talk about just what is making me so happy...even if it seems like nothing big. Happiness to me is a tricky ole thing, we often search long and hard for it, wondering why we can't seem to ever be happy for long periods of time, and why sadness comes to creep up on us on days we least expect it to. I'm actually at the moment, the happiest I have been in a very long time and even though I'm not quite where I want to be I know that I am on the right path and focusing on building as a person and choosing which people I want to surround myself with and making more of an effort to plan trips and take days of just for myself...things I think are always key to feeling even if just a little happier. 

So here are my lessons in happiness...


Take time out for yourself and don't feel bad about it:


A lot of the time in life we forget that it's important to take time out for ourselves to focus on things that make us happy and make us feel more alive. It's always good to have lots of plans and keep busy but sometimes it can get too much and we forget to take some time away from our busy schedules and focus on maintaining our health and our souls. I've always been one to keep busy, I used to always prefer the company of others to being on my own and found it quite tricky to just have time to myself...It wasn't until I got older I started being more proactive when I was by myself and actually found this to be something that helped me push myself the most and to become happier. When you are less reliant on others it helps you find happiness within yourself. 



Stop apologising for the way you feel:

We are often quick to apologise for the way we feel or hide our feelings all together, sometimes it seems like the best solution and the only way to not admit you are feeling a certain way, or let anyone have any reason to doubt how you are feeling. I used to do this all the time. I thought if I spoke on my feelings and not everyone agreed with me, the best thing to do would be to just apologise, but oh how wrong I was and how I realised this doesn't solve anything or make you feel any better. I've learnt that when I am feeling something it's better not to bottle it up but instead open up and talk to people about it.


Love the crap out of things and don't deny it:

I have always been the type of person to have quite an obsessive personality...so when I like or enjoy something I can't stop thinking about it. Blogging has been the best way for me to really open up and share with everyone my passion for writing, fashion and photography and it's something I could talk about 24/7...if someone let me. Sometimes we are quick to deny loving something or having a real passion for something when someone puts a downer on the topic or doesn't understand why you would love blogging...and believe me I've had people who just don't understand what the hell blogging is and think it's just 'a way to get free stuff''...I laugh when people take this approach and have learnt that instead of being embarrassed or shying away from talking about it, I tell them just how much time and effort goes into it, and why I do it to make me happy. 




Know that not every day will be a good day but be optimistic that the down days won't last:

Good days come and go, just like bad days come and go. Nothing is set in stone and you really can't say how you are going to feel from one day to the next, or know what is going to sprout up that can turn your mood from feeling on top of the world, to absolutely shit. It sucks when you are having such a great day and something flies in and destroys it, but you can do one of two things...you can let whatever it is ruin whatever happiness you had inside you and vow you won't see any rainbows for the next few days, or you can be optimistic that the sun will shine tomorrow and you will be on the up to feeling happy again, or at least trying. 

'It's not all sunshine and rainbows but a good amount of it is'


Accept that you are different:

I've talked about this before on my blog but it's something I've learnt to focus on in order to make myself the happiest I've ever been. I like to look at it as realising that being a sheep in this robotic world really doesn't get you anywhere, but what does is being yourself. I look at myself as headstrong, someone who can be bloody crazy and weird as hell, someone who isn't afraid to go a little out there with her style at times and doesn't ever wanna be seen as simply 'fitting in' with the crowd...that's really no fun if I'm honest! Accepting you are different takes time, but focusing on this over the years has made me realise that it's one of the key things to being truly happy with my life and myself. 

'There isn't any better representation of beauty than someone who is unafraid to be herself'


Choose your friends carefully:

It's probably only up until this point  where I look at the people I've chosen to have in my life and think to myself  'you've chose well Caitlin.' But it wasn't always like that and for years I chose to hang around with people that really made me feel nothing but small...the type of people you can't really be yourself around but you hang with them because you feel kinda stuck. I had no real common interests with these people, I wasn't as clever as them and they made that known. Looking back I wish I had chosen my friends better at the time. I'd have gone for people who made me feel good about myself and made me feel wanted...which is exactly what I have done now and I am over the moon about that. 

'Surround yourself with things and people you love. Disregard the rest'


Realise you aren't in competition with anyone:

It's often easy to look around and see what other people your age are doing, and what they are achieving. They may be achieving more or getting more opportunities than you and in turn you feel like you must be failing or simply doing something wrong. This one is something that drives me crazy and I constantly tell myself to stop doing it...to stop thinking that I should be achieving so much more than I am at this moment in time. To stop comparing myself to other girls, or other bloggers and  instead start realising that I am actually making my own successes, things that are completely unique to myself and that's what is important. 

'Ignore what everyone else is doing and achieving. Your life is about breaking your own limits and living your best life'




Document the moments you feel most in love with yourself:

When I'm feeling happy I always want to document it. I carry my camera around with me pretty much everywhere and am a freak when it comes to possibly 'over capturing' moments. I love being able to look back on the moments I was feeling the happiest I've ever been and simply smiling because the feeling comes back around. I adore capturing my most loved outfits and sharing them on social media because it makes me feel good about myself, and I'm not going to deny that. I cherish the images of my family, friends and boyfriends from days that I never want to forget. Days where I felt so loved and happy. Days that will always have a place in my heart. I think it's important to live in the moment, but to also document memories so that in years to come you can look back and think about just how happy you really were!  

'Don't forget to fall in love with yourself first'


What I'm Wearing:

Dress: Topshop *similar
Boots: Asos
Bag: New Look *similar
Necklace: H&M *similar






Photos by Katherine Mcmorran:

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Another amazing read. Girl, you are just incredible! I loved the 'Know that not every day will be a good day but be optimistic that the down days won't last' section! It's hard when you're having a down day to be optimistic and realise that they don't last and better days are coming! But it is so important to remember that there will be better days!

    Also I love this quote: 'Surround yourself with things and people you love. Disregard the rest' xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Sophie! It's such a good quote isn't it!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig